Q & A
- Q. What is the payment process?
A: As our JML Garden Rooms are made to order, our payments are split up into the following three stages.
- 50% (initial deposit) This is used to secure your order and allows us to commence manufacturing your JML Garden Room.
- 25% (upon delivery) This second payment is required when we arrive on site to erect your Garden Room.
- 25% (upon completion) The final payment is settled once all works have been completed and you are 100% satisfied with your JML Garden Room.
- Q. If I move home, can I take my JML Garden Room with me?
A: This is a possibility depending on the size and location of the JML Garden Room you choose. There will of course be a cost involved in moving it. However, most people have said that their Garden Rooms have been such a great selling tool when moving home (with the increase in people working from home and the popularity of a flexible outdoor space) that it has increased their sale significantly enough to justify building another to suit their new home.
- Q. Will my JML Garden Room increase the value of my property?
A: Your JML Garden Room will of course increase the value of your property. However, the extent of which will vary depending on your location. A property in central London immediately increased its value by £30K following the installation of a £18K Garden Room!
The amount your property will increase by depends largely on your location and the property market at the time. A local estate agent will be able to advise more specifically.
- Q. Can JML Garden Rooms carry out all works from initial design to final internal finishings?
A: The short answer is yes. JML Garden Rooms can project manage the whole build from start to finish ensuring that you have no stress and the process for you is hassle free.
However, if you’d like to employ your own decorator, or electrician, that’s up to you. But we have contacts with lighting designers, interior decorators, and can offer all sorts of finishes from floor tiles to wooden boards. We have expert installers of all interior finishes. And if you’re a gizmo addict, we can install all the latest high-speed cabling and sockets you desire.
- Q. How long will my JML Garden Room be guaranteed for?
A: We are so confident of the excellent quality and longevity of our JML Garden Rooms that each one comes with a 10 year Structural Guarantee (please see t’s &c’s for details). This gives you 100% peace of mind.
- Q. What’s included in the cost of my JML Garden Room?
A: Our prices include VAT and the full installation service for your Garden Room. This includes Easy Pad foundations (www.easypads.co.uk), though excludes excessive site clearance. This will be subject to a site survey before beginning.
Our JML Garden Rooms come with a set amount of spot lights and sockets as standard. We can quote for any additional specifications requested over and above this. Please note, decking is not included in our quote but can be costed and supplied as an extra.
In general, no additional delivery or installation charges apply within a 60 mile radius of our Auchterarder, Perthshire base, though you can expect small additional charges in other areas, which will be confirmed at the time of ordering.
Our price list represents our set sizes of buildings, to give you an indication of price. We will always prepare a personal quotation to suit your individual circumstances. For example, our prices assume our Garden Rooms are installed using our standard SIPs (Structural Insulated Panels).
The only other requirement is a power supply to the house, for which we can provide a separate quotation, or you can contract your own electrician to make the connection.
We will sit down with you with a quote and go through what is included for your specific JML Garden Room, and keep you updated with quotes for any extras.
- Q. What is the lead time from placing an order?
A: It’s surprisingly quick. Providing you don’t need planning permission and if you go for one of our standard ready-to-go designs featured on our website, we can start cutting the panels immediately and be on site within 3 weeks. Once on site, the foundations will be completed and JML Garden Room erected within 5 days and depending on the chosen spec for roofing, cladding, internal finishings and decking, we would normally allow another 10-14 days for completion. So if the British weather is good to us we should be on and off site within 3 weeks.
- Q. How much maintenance will my garden room require?
A: Our JML Garden Rooms, are highly durable, solid and designed for a maintenance free life.
Our cedar cladding doesn’t need chemical treatment, offering maintenance free ageing to a natural silvery-grey patina in time. It also has an expected lifespan of up to 50 years.
You have the option of adding a colour finish to our cedar if you wish but this would require maintenance every few years.
All the products we use, from quality windows and doors, to decking and finishes are essentially maintenance free, apart from the occasional clean with a cloth!
- Q. What can we use a Garden Room for?
A: JML Garden Rooms are super insulated which allows for flexible all year round use, adding value to your home and giving you a great return for your investment. Their popular uses include a stylish garden office, gym, art studio, a guest room or granny annexe, a playroom or games room for children, a therapy room – the list is endless.
- Q. Do I need planning permission?
A: Planning permission takes into consideration the size of the structure, its location, external appearance and its intended use. These rules differ between Scotland, England and Wales.
Generally speaking, planning permission for your JML Garden Room is NOT required in Scotland if:
- The Garden Room is being located in your rear garden.
- The area your Garden Room is added to, and all other development constructed after the original house (including extensions, garages, outbuildings and sheds) does not exceed 50% of the total area of the garden.
- The new Garden Room is not used as a dwelling or as self-contained living accommodation.
- The Garden Room is single storey.
- The eaves height is no more than 3 metres and the ridge height is no more than 4 metres.
- Any section of the Garden Room against a boundary is no more than 1.8m high.
- Any section of the Garden Room 1m from the boundary is no more than 2.5m high.
Planning Permission generally IS required if you are in a conservation area, are living in a flat or maisonette, you live in a National Park, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites or your building is Listed.
If you are unsure whether Planning Approval will be required, you can contact your Local Planning Authority at www.planningportal.gov.uk/wps/portal/genpub_LocalInformation.
If Planning Permission is required, you can apply online at www.planningportal.gov.uk. Alternatively, we can assist and take care of the whole process on your behalf.
Kilmarnock Garden Room
A perfect spot at the bottom of the garden, and a perfect spot for enjoying the sounds of Kilmarnock Football Club. Here’s hoping that ourRead More »
Office Pod Study Zone
A-level season is nearly over, just one final push for all those studying heroes! Good luck everybody!Read More »
Garden Room Music Studio
The acoustic panels are in place for the garden room music studio that we’ve been working on! There will be no sound leakage (orRead More »
Best of Houzz 2018 Award Winner!
Houzz have given JML Garden Rooms another ‘Best of Houzz 2018’ award this year! Award winners’ work was the most popular among the moreRead More »